quaint little rutted bucket



Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The beauty of all things simple

Today, i headed down McDo, near La Salle to fetch my groupmate and go to Barrio Obrero, in the farthest extremes of Tondo, Manila to visit Alvin.

We took the LRT to R. Papa and a tricycle to the school. There, we met Mr. Roger Cayabyab, a lanky bachelor who, later on, we found to be a very dedicated educator who was perhaps already married--to his vocation, that is.

(I'm sorry about the lack of pics. I really thought only pictures could do justice to the inspiring things I experienced today. :)

Upon arriving at Barrio Obrero Elementary School, I was quite astonished to find out that they had a dedicated center for handling children needing specialized education. (Being an education student, I should. :D It was there I learned lots about the program they had, where they teach "special" (note the asterisks.) children academic and practical skills. Skills that are, aside from being beneficial to them intellectually, help them in dealing with the environment around them. Sir Roger told us that they teach the children skills in housekeeping, painting, gardening, and craftmaking.

Soon after that, we were treated to some good food from those brought by the kids for their Christmas parties. :) We met all the kids enrolled in SPED, such as those who are hearing-impaired, autistic and have attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). We also learned that we were the first pair to actually visit the school and the child assigned to us. And that Alvin belongs to the afternoon batch, so we had to wait for a couple of hours. :))

Alvin, with his mum, arrived a couple of minutes past one in the afternoon. As we discovered, Alvin is an autistic child who has an almost tireless penchance for running about, as if curiously exploring his environment. (He'll surely be a winner in the sixteenth. Hahah.) Regardless, his teachers and Ma'am Norma told us a few things to keep in mind when dealing with him. Tips, strategies and what-nots that will surely prove essential in keeping him interested and behaved.
The visit ended when our pair and the rest of Alvin's teachers parted ways with their assurance that they'll try to help us as much as possible, especially when things get pretty overwhelming.

Ahahah. For me, that's the best thing to have in mind. :D



9800 Pro still MIA

Supply constraints? Apparently, Rising Sun (and PowerColor's local distie, PC Trends) have had trouble ordering 9800 Pros. That means I still have to wait for my card to arrive. Karen (RSun Taft) told me to phone her Thursday afternoon if they already have it. Bummer, considering that I have Vampires - The Masquerade: Bloodlines, LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, and of course, Need for Speed Underground 2 all waiting for a decent gaming card. Heheh.

Suggestion to RSun: Just send me an AGP version of Nvidia's 6600GT from any of the brands PC Trends carries locally! Harhar. Now that would be a *sweet* Christmas present! Harhar.

Of course, with all this talk, nobody would even notice I'm experiencing fatigue from all these.

Yes, fatigue.

Of note, I've already stopped playing HL2, like what I did to Doom3 about a month ago. I find these FPSes boring. I tried playing in the local beta of Priston Tale, but interest was soon lost after a few levels. (Hahah. This was the first time I tried to play an MMO, and I find the overall concept pretty dull.) I even played around with Sid Meier's Pirates!, but also got tired of it and uninstalled it pretty quickly.

Blech. I think I'm outgrowing playing games already.



Song of the moment: Don't Dream It's Over (Neil Finn)

Performed by Crowded House

There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
While you're traveling with me

Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win

Now I'm towing my car, there's a hole in the roof
My possessions are causing me suspicion but there's no proof
In the paper today tales of war and of waste
But you turn right over to the T.V. page

Now I'm walking again to the beat of a drum
And I'm counting the steps to the door of your heart
Only shadows ahead barely clearing the roof
Get to know the feeling of liberation and relief

Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
Don't ever let them win

Lyrics Copyright © 1986 Roundhead Music (BMI).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home