quaint little rutted bucket



Tuesday, May 24, 2005

First impressions

This term rocks. Although I am already resigned to the fact that I'll be delayed (the real 103 BSE-ENG guys will be finishing their program by the end of this year), I take comfort in the fact that at least, I'll get to stay in school longer.

I'm not sure why as early as now (first term of my junior year), I'm already waxing lyrical about the nearing end of my studies. I haven't even done my thesis yet, nor have I undergone practicum, but as the months (days?) pass by, I already feel butterflies fluttering in my tummy whenever I think of it. Anyway, what is important is the here and now, so let's leave that for now.

Why does this term rock? Well, apart from my schedule, most (all?) of my subjects seem interesting enough to be both engrossing and inspiring. (Wow. I'm actually loving this thing called " studying." It's just so... not me. Heheheh. :-Þ
  • RELSTRI - Christian Morality for Dummies. Just kidding. Our prof on this one seems nice enough, although a bit on the control-obsessive side. Something of a cross between a college prof and a high school teacher in how he handles the class. Although I'm not so sure of your own idea of how a high school teacher should handle a class. ;-)
  • INTRECO - I'm taking this with some of the 103 English majors. Our prof is somewhat imported, and he is pretty cool. Very authoritative and intelligent. I really like his class. While economics certainly gets a bit tedious after a while, its fortunate that it only sets in near the end of the meeting. The things I've read in Fortune surely will become more relevant to me as we discuss the things this course is supposed to cover. I'm especially looking forward to developmental economics, as this is a subject that covers what has been a consistent topic in the media recently: sustainable development.
  • LITERA1 - I like how my prof handles the class on this one. She's very lively, and really gives life to the lecture/discussion. It is in my belief that her level of enthusiasm and passion for what she teaches is fitting for what the course will be covering. I think that's something to be commended this early on, given the time of this course (around lunchtime. heheh.) And the thought of learning more about our nation's rich collection of literary materials is, to be honest, exciting.
My two majors courses this term, GRAMCO2 and THECOMM, should prove to be worthwhile courses too. The former is a course on teaching grammar, while the latter takes on communication theories. Our real prof on the latter is still out, attending a conference in the States. Her substitute is equally competent, though surely not on the same level of expertise and experience as our prof. But she's nice and got lots of fresh insights that are very much welcome.

There you have it. A completely anonymous, name-free overview of the courses I'll be taking this term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home