quaint little rutted bucket



Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Album Review: Something's Gotta Give Soundtrack


This movie certainly took my breath away when I first saw (and heard) it. The story was pretty unique in that it involved two highly-successful, older people who never thought they would fall genuinely in love. But what's lovelier is the fact that this movie is interspersed with wondrous jazz tracks, some of them, classic works in French.

The album starts off with a timeless Louis Armstrong classic, "La Vie en Rose". (Which was also featured as music in Black Isle/Interplay's Fallout 2 game back in 1998) This beautiful song, with its mellifluous trumpeting and crooning, screams authentic jazz music and sets the pace for the preceding tracks as well.

While a good number of tracks in this album is in French, one cannot deny that the use of the language itself gives that romantic flavor this album has. In itself, the album can attest to what the French used to say, that their language is indeed, the language of love.

Another track I've come to love is Steve Tyrell's "I've Got a Crush on You", which is perfect slow-dance music with that special someone. Really lovely, cheesy even. :) And the lyrics! Gee, reminds me of myself.

Two instrumentals worthy of note is Heitor Pereira's "Remember Me", a jazz guitar instrumental and "Sweet Lorraine", a violin-flavored chamber act. Too bad the former only lasts for a minute and a half.

I'd have to commend Jack Nicholson for his own rendition of "La Vie en Rose" as a album-ender. His French is excellent, and while his singing isn't definitely a stand-out, it brings the memories of the movie back to life.

To conclude, if you're a jazz aficionado and a mush-movie sucker like me, get this. If not, you can pass this on, or just borrow my copy. :)

Cons:
- Again, cost. Cut me some slack here, this thing cost me another PhP 400 bucks.
- Too much classic French jazz for my taste. Especially for a non-speaker like me.

Pros:
- Makes reminiscing the movie even easier.
- Lovely, lovely jazz album. I could almost picture myself driving with this thing on car audio.

Score: 7.5/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home