quaint little rutted bucket



Sunday, September 11, 2005

Term break's over.

First day of classes tomorrow! And I'm excited as hell. For what reason, I'm not exactly sure. Although can't prevent the feeling of anxiety from creeping over me. As it stands, the only class I'll be having outside CED is a course on classroom management with second year CCS IST majors, although I'm also enrolled in a frosh block class. Waaaah. Froshies. They're usually noisy. And nosy. Heheh. Let's just cross our fingers for now. :D

Tomorrow will also be the first day of my stint as a FORMDEV faci. Wala namang groupings bukas, so we'll see how this one turns out.

Oh. It just started raining. Cool.

You know, when it rains, the first thing I think about is Mico, my cross-bred terrier. The dog usually stays outside, except during really bad weather.

But no, I remembered. He just passed away last July. Still have a bag and three cans of dog food in the shelves. I miss having a dog.

Or any pet, for that matter. What I want now is a cat. :)



I've just finished reading Robert Ludlum's "The Bourne Identity" this afternoon. I swear, the only part things got pretty fast was during the last couple of chapters when everything was revealed to our protagonist. :) But it was a swell read. Character development was top notch and done in a very unique manner.

I love the European, largely French setting of the novel. There were a considerable number of snippets in French, but nothing a good French tourist dictionary couldn't handle. :) The conversations were also a nice touch, since it works in perfect harmony with the images used in depicting the setting of the novel, which in turn gives the reader an impression of being "closer" to the action.

The thing is, "Bourne Identity" is not a short novel by any counts. At nearly five hundred fifty pages, reading it was a stretch, considering that most of the novels I have read before are (a) not thrillers and (b) Coelho works, which are considerably shorter than this one. The language is also far and above my usual fare, which makes reading it a bit of a drag at times, especially when the action slows down.

Ludlum is definitely skilled in keeping his readers on edge. Even if there are instances when the novel itself becomes a tad boring, the way Ludlum developed the story's characters and plot makes the reader want to read on until the very end. That I think is a gift not possessed by many thriller writers.

I'm now looking to read the next book in this trilogy, "The Bourne Supremacy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home